The Science Behind BIOCORNEUM
Clinically backed and patented silicone formula
BIOCORNEUM is the only advanced scar treatment with FDA-cleared SilishieldTM technology plus the protection of SPF 30. Learn why physicians prefer the patented silicone formulation in BIOCORNEUM for scar treatment over other therapies.
BIOCORNEUM’s patented crosslinking silicone, Silishield, has been shown to be:
In preventing post-op scarring
- The self-drying silicone gel used in the study was shown to be effective in reducing the hypertrophy rate of fresh surgical scars, and this type of treatment was rated as the first choice for preventing hypertrophy of recent scars.1
- Treatment with silicone gel after incision resulted in 67% of scars being rated normal (versus 28% with no treatment), and 26% mildly hypertrophic (versus 45% with no treatment). These results were statistically significant.1
In treating existing scars
- Silicone gel was used to treat both newly formed scars (< 3 months) and older scars (at least 4 years), and was shown to be effective at relieving scar symptoms.2
- >70% to 85% of patients and physicians reported improvements in scar symptoms after treatment with silicone gel and more than 80% had high satisfaction in ease of use, cosmetic result, and overall satisfaction.2
Preferred over other therapies
Other silicone gels
- BIOCORNEUM is the only topical scar treatment with FDA-cleared SilishieldTM patented crosslinking medical grade silicone and SPF to prevent and minimize the formation of new scars, decrease the appearance of old scars, protect scars from sun exposure’s darkening effects, and dry quickly to adhere to skin for 12 to 24 hours.
- Silishield’s patented technology keeps skin hydrated, minimizing collagen formation that contributes to abnormal scarring.
- The repeated use of topical steroids is not desirable for extended periods and may cause more harm than benefit.4
- Side effects of repeated topical steroid use include epidermal barrier disturbance and increased transepidermal water loss, delayed wound healing, atrophy, telangiectasia, hypopigmentation, and acne.4
- Silicone gel was better than silicone sheeting at decreasing scar height and erythema on day 90, and was more beneficial in areas such as inframammary surgical scars, the face, and areas of movement associated with joints.3
- Patients favored silicone gel over silicone sheeting because of its invisibility, and both physicians and patients rated it as easier to use.3
Other therapies (onion extract, vitamin E)
- Neither onion extract nor vitamin E have been shown to be efficacious in minimizing the severity of hypertrophic scars or promoting the resolution of existing scars.5
- Vitamin E does not improve the appearance of scars and is not well tolerated by patients.6
- BIOCORNEUM’s patented self-drying silicone gel, Silishield, caused no side effects such as maceration, rashes, infections, or irritation.1
- 98.7% of physicians and 98.2% of patients rated tolerability of the patented silicone formulation as “very good” or “good.”2
Find a Doctor
To purchase BIOCORNEUM, find an authorized provider near you.
You can now purchase BIOCORNEUM online through participating physicians! Redeem your physician code at the online BIOCORNEUM store.